07 October 2012

It's Burger Time!














I was pleasantly surprised with Wendy's latest offering, the Bacon "Portobella" Melt, despite the company's pricing strategy and the usual brain-dead service.

It's a large single patty with thinly sliced mushrooms, almost crisp bacon strips and a substantial gob of "cheese food" (they call it cheddar cheese sauce)...

Of course, they would word it quite differently: 100 percent pure, North American, fresh, never frozen beef that’s topped with fresh cooked, thick-cut Applewood Smoked Bacon, and sautéed portabella mushrooms in a creamy cheddar cheese sauce made with Old English Cheddar giving this cheeseburger a rich, intense flavor. The burger is also topped with American cheese".

I didn't see that slice of American cheese, and I assume spelling it slightly differently should be a tip off to the average consumer that these are dwarf Portobello mushrooms, if that...

My major gripe is the fact that the particular Wendy's we visit (Store #3544 @ 686 Jamacha Road El Cajon, Ca 92021) has that line cleaner in the soda hoses, especially first thing in the morning.

Short-circuiting that, I brought my own Coke in a can...

And the combo is $6.80 plus tax but buying the small order of fries and the sandwich a la cart was $6.78 plus tax, a whopping 2 cents off of the combo price (such a deal).

Maybe I should have went ahead and bought the combo with the fountain soda, then turned around and gave the soda to the next person in line behind me?

As for the service, the twenty-something woman who took my order asked me if I'd like to order again, maybe a minute and a half later (with only 3 customers in the entire restaurant)...